We offer many extraction solutions. Alongside the traditional system configuration that uses a single extractor, we have introduced the configuration with two and three extractors, the most requested.
There are a lot of differences between these configurations:
- Single extractor: this configuration is widely used in labs for testing extraction conditions before starting industrial production. Very small laboratory systems (extractor volume from 50 to 1000 mL) are generally used for extract analysis but are not useful for deriving process conditions (pressure, temperature, flow rate, kinetics). Due to the small size these systems alter fluid dynamics, and lead to a bad result called the “downscaling effect”. For this reason, we have chosen not to build systems below 1.7 liters, as this is the minimum required volume to damp this effect and obtain reproducible process in industrial size systems.
Supercritical CO2 Laboratory systems are indispensable for testing new matrices to evaluate the conditions of solubility, residence time, particle size and humidity of the matrix before going into production.
- Double extractor: this configuration was an important step towards greater process efficiency, but only when fully automated. In fact, only with automation is it possible to exploit the advantages of semi-continuous extraction, in which there are no dead times between one extraction and another (as happens with the single extractor configuration). One extractor is unloaded and reloaded while the other one is under extraction.
- Triple extractor: this configuration is the most used in large systems, as it considerably increases extraction performance, exploiting the advantages of overlapping extraction, +50% compared to the configuration with double extractor. This configuration requires a very high level of automation. This is why it is almost impossible to find them in production machines below 100 liters per extractor, but this is not the case here. Read More Separeco, the only one on the market, has developed an innovative process automation that has made it possible to introduce this configuration also on production machines of 24, 51 and 73 liters extractor volume, keeping costs at a more than reasonable level, far lower than the benefits it can give. Separeco is among the few companies in the world to possess the technology for managing the extraction process with triple extractor.
Generally, Supercritical CO2 system are offered with two separators. We do more than this.
We offer different configurations:
- Three separator configuration: this is our standard set up. All separators are controlled in temperature, but the first is also controlled in pressure. Having supercritical condition in the first separator in line offers enhanced separation performance. Different fractions are collected from each separator.
- Four separator configuration: this is a special set up. With four separator is possible to address specific extract to different separators, to have unmixed extract collection at the end of the process. Also in this case all separators are controlled in temperature and the first is also controlled in pressure. Having supercritical condition in the first separator in line offers enhanced separation performance. Different fractions are collected from each separator.
We offer many different configuration and special solutions like the a)water trap, b) single, double or triple pressure control, c) full recirculation, d) quick cloverleaf opening system, e) CO2 reservoir tank with liquid level detector, f) Corilois flow meters, g) CO2 and co-solvent high pressure pumps, h) multi-process software.
Ask for your specific configuration.