While in the simple semi continuous extraction the system is equipped with 2 extraction vessels, in the semi continuous serial extraction the system is equipped with 3 extraction vessels. Taking advantage on the typical flowers and leaves extraction kinetic, the intelligent automation of the system will apply a different extraction strategy.
- After the first half of the extraction, we collected solute from the extraction vessel 1, and for this reason, the CO2 isn't more saturated by compounds like before.
- This means that CO2 can solubilize more compounds than what are available in extractor 1.
- So the system will put in series the extractor nr. 1 (E1) to the extractor nr. 2 (E2), in this way the CO2 from E1 (poor in solute and with high solvent power) can solubilize chemical compounds in E2, breaking down the time of extraction.
- Connecting the E2 in series with E1, after the first half of the process, will give to the production manager the advantage to recover the last 15% to 30% left in E1.
- After other 120 min, the solvent will extract the most of the compounds from E2, and so the system will put in series E2 and E3, and then again E3 and E1, in an endless circle.