Realizing the organization of production platform on agro's applications, this technology allows:
- realization of High Quality and High Performance products, depending from the features of the technology, features identified as follow:
a. extracts from plants for use in food, cosmetic, nutraceutical and pharmaceutical industry
b. fractions of a extracts concentrated of active ingredients (eg palm oil fraction concentrated in tocopherol or vitamin E).
c. pasteurization processes at room temperature (30° C) for natural drinks and dealcoholization with simultaneous preservation of the aromas characteristic for alcoholic beverage
d. high value ingredients from waste products: polyphenols and antioxidants from vegetable water, tomato waste for highly active molecules, desolate meal for dietary products
- replacement of conventional processes by reducing environmental impact and significantly improving the life quality of workers (eg: for the removal of toxic substances)
- product innovation with significant increase in the effectiveness and safety of the products enhancing the penetration in international markets.
- development of a lot of patents, thanks to innovative features. This technology can really help to increase the development of the industrial business and raise attention of the markets.
- development of a strong correlation between the technology used and the territory around it by several factors: a) the versatility of the technology suitable for application in many industrial sectors b) its ability to influence the development of entire agricultural value chain for waste products integration and high versatility expressed in many different industrial applications.
In this case, we do not propose a structural intervention in association with the farming systems, but a direct action on the chain of basic foodstuffs for the food, confectionery and nutraceutical industry for:
- oils from seeds, wheat germ, soy flour, almonds, characterized in antioxidants (eg beta-sitosterol from almond oil tocopherol from wheat germ)
- polar compounds and water-soluble extracts from soy (such as soy isoflavones from supplements for menopausal women)
- exhausted meal for healthy-food
If we de-grease a meal with SFE (eg soybean meal) we get a product in which (as opposed to standard meal) caloric intake is reduced by 20-25%. The protein content increased by 35.87%, the fibres increased by 24.30%. This new food is as very interesting in terms of diet and healthy. After desolation, flour may be further treated in supercritical phase together with water as a co solvent to obtain:
- Isoflavones from desolated soybean meal (for the treatment of the effects of menopause in women). Also in the soybean meal in addition to isoflavones, there are other substances of interest (lignans for the treatment and prevention of prostatitis in men). From de-grease flour (through a process pioneered by Exenia with supercritical fluids) can be obtained after the desolation:
- extracts concentrated in glycon isoflavones to be processed in flavonoids aglycones that have a better assimilation. These are phytoestrogens that have a high demand from the market (that consists of women over 50).
- In addition, the oil extracted is very interesting and may have greater value on the market thanks to the SFE method not only for the highest value given to soybean meal and all products derived from soybean meal, but also as a result of the qualitative parameters (acid value, peroxide , iodine) and also the ability to extract components which normally do not go out the matrix with the standard processes (eg beta-carotene and vitamin E).
Briefly, the technological quality of the extract and flour desolate by SFE will promote a series of new products, in line with current market trends, with the following features:
- Functional Food: as defined by the Institute of Medicine of the U.S. National Academy of Sciences as foods that include active substances or other materials as soybean oil (especially if organic) extracted with SFE that are able to: provide health benefits, and vehicle specific nutritional properties.
- New Food: You can define them as foods or food ingredients not used in significant terms for human consumption or produced by other processes that involven a significant change in the composition, in the nutritional value and in the use expected.
And this is the case of de-oiled soy flour (made from SFE) for its high protein concentration (> 46%) and the almost total absence of fat and cholesterol (eg a healthy dessert). In fact, the quality of these meals for the properties of soy oil extraction with SFE are:
- Good features of desirability and palatability (low temperatures and reducing environment due to mining in environment saturated with CO2 are a mix suitable to inhibit oxidation)
- Organoleptic high quality
- High concentration in fibre and protein as a consequence of desolation
- No fat or low-fat content
- Very low bacteria load and long shelf life due to the high pressures: CO2 (in the extraction process is brought to 300-350 bar with a simultaneous inactivation of bacteria by the same CO2 that enters the bacteria and destroys the bacteria itself, due to differential between internal and external pressure differential).
The impact on the quality of the soy product chain (extraction made with SFE) is not only about oil and flour-based products but also due to the increased quality of raw materials: as for wheat and almonds, they can be made with similar treatment effects in different sectors.
As for the almonds: oil use has almost exclusively in the cosmetic industry as a base raw material for skin creams, while the flour is a basic element for the production of sweets. In the case of almond de-grease flour is very interesting the use of the flour for the production of fresh and health conscious diet. Moreover, the films of the almonds and hazelnuts for their content of carotenoids and antioxidants (eg gallic acid) are a waste of great interest, both directly extracting the oil from the films and in co-extraction together with flour.
As for wheat, wheat germ, which together with the bran is a gap that is typically removed from mills or used as feed for livestock, if treated with supercritical fluids, receives its full value: the oil already extracted is the basis many supplements for its vitamin E and polyunsaturated fatty acids, while the flour, now being quickly eliminated because of its propensity to rancidity due to the presence of oil, may become the basic element for health products for the consistent presence of protein, also considering that the quality of treatment with SCF does not alter its organoleptic qualities.
The objectives of the application developed for extraction of antibacterial principles from plants are as follows:
- Breaking down or significantly reduce the use of toxic substances in methods of production of antibacterial agents from natural sources through the use of an eco-friendly technology
- Replacing synthetic antibacterial with natural origin antibiotics in various fields (from livestock to the same treatment of humans). The constant use of synthetic antibiotics, in fact, may cause the rising of antibiotic resistance, the emergence of superinfections and other diseases related to a considerable use of these synthetic drugs. This phenomenon is particularly important if it's related to the possibility that the use of synthetic antimicrobial agents can cause the emergence of antibiotic resistance in human pathogenic micro-organism.
- Obtain a final more safe product as a result of the elimination of the phenomenon of resistance of pathogens to synthetic antibiotics that can be transferred to humans if synthetic antibacterial substances are used in animal husbandry.
In this segment, extraction tests carried out on basil made it possible to develop a new configuration of the supercritical machinery, oriented to the extraction of more volatile compounds (eg terpenes), able to obtain a total extract of all substances which together have an effective antibacterial action. Extracts are very similar in nature to those compounds that are effective in antibacterial action. Extracts from basil with SCF method have been tested on colonies of vibrios with the effect of disabling bacterial twice synthetic antibiotic. These results have been used to develop this new technology and product facilities specialized in this application.
The plants that have antibacterial principles are:
Other molecules have required further development of the technology: among them a particularly interesting, because of its widespread use, was indicated as the lycopene extracted from tomatoes. The use of lycopene are in different areas: such as cancer care and prevention of breast cancer and prostate cancer, in cosmetics such as tanning kit. The natural molecule shows significant advantages over the synthetic molecule: it is to be more active due to its particular chemical prevalent form (form-CIS- prevails over form TRANS that presents critical issues in bioavailability).
His extraction has prompted the development of different methods of extraction in supercritical phase. Among these, one in co-extraction with other plants gave the best qualitative and quantitative results (complete extraction with synergistic activity with other vegetable). The market, which refers to this molecule is rapidly growing and expected further developments on the product of natural origin.
Applications to organic farming
In this area, in continuous growth, supercritical extraction is achieving great success:
• Extracts from pyrethrum: the presence of pyrethrins in pyrethrum oil gives it the pesticides properties. These are highly light sensitive and higly heat-sensitive active ingredients. Only the supercritical phase extraction do not destroy the properties that are present in the plant for its complete lack of oxygen during extraction, low temperature and the absence of light during process.
• Extracts from Azadiracta Indica (Neem): in this case the pesticides (azadirachtin) contained in the oil of neem show it’s activity only in supercritical extracts. (very heat-sensitive compound).